twitter




Sunday, May 23, 2010

Why can't I FTP to my server from my own computer?

This is a very strange thing. I recently just got a domain name and some server space hosted by a friend. When I was at home, everything worked great, I could upload files using FTP and all that. Then, I moved back to school (I%26#039;m a college student) and for some reason, the same settings, user/pass I used at home don%26#039;t work on my computer at school. The connection just times out when I try to FTP to my server. However, it works on any other computer besides my own. The website isn%26#039;t down or anything either, it works fine and loads fine when I access it. It%26#039;s just FTPing to it. I%26#039;m running Windows XP, and typically use Filezilla to upload files.



Why can%26#039;t I FTP to my server from my own computer?





if the server is working and it works everywhere else, maybe your FTP software got corrupted somehow - possibly a file or 2 got deleted accidentally or the registry is messed up or something?



Why can%26#039;t I FTP to my server from my own computer?



It sounds like it may be a global computer issue rather than a software issue. Making FTP work can be difficult. Can you FTP to any site? (Try ftp.cdc.gov). One easy thing to check is the difference between active and passive FTP access. This is controlled for Windows by the IE %26#039;Tools - Internet Options - Advanced%26#039; checkbox. You might also try searching the web for %26quot;FTP troubleshoot%26quot; as there are good resources out there. Also, there is a good description of how FTP works on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transf... - that may help.

No comments:

Post a Comment